As the weather gets hotter birds, just like us, need to make sure they drink plenty of water. They also love to have a bath, which helps them keep their feathers in tip-top condition.
You can help the birds this summer by making a birdbath for your garden.
What you will need
- Old large shallow bowl or plant pot saucer (remember birds don’t like bright colours)
- Some stones or pebbles
- Cool water
What to do
- Find a nice open place in your garden so cats, cannot surprise your bathing birds.
- Place your bath on flat area so it won’t wobble.
- Spread the rocks and/or pebbles over the deepest part of the bath. Try to create a ramp on one side so that small birds and other creatures can get out easily if they fall in.
- Add cool water the bath.
- Remember to keep the water topped up and clean.
- Find a good spot to watch the birds keeping cool and having fun in the water!
Learn the art of dry stone walling, woodland management, tree planting, hedgelaying and much more.
Get instant access to the definitive ‘how to’ practical conservation guides. Advice, instructions and support to manage your countryside and green spaces.