Printed from: https://www.conservationhandbooks.com/nature-activities/bug-hotel/
This simple bug hotel is the perfect habitat for bees, ladybirds and any other small inhabitants of your garden. It’s easy to make and fun for kids of all ages!
What you will need
- Small plastic bottle
- Garden canes, straw, small twigs
What to do
- Ask an adult to cut the top and bottom off your plastic bottle so you have a nice tube shape.
- Ask an adult to cut the canes into lengths with the hacksaw, long enough so they just fit inside your bottle, you don’t want them hanging out at the ends.
- Put the canes into your bottle, make sure you pack them in well so they don’t fall out.
- Tie some string around the bottle so you can hang it up.
- Hang the bottle outside in a tree or on a fence – in the shade is best.
- You could try putting other things into the bottle, like sticks or rolled up cardboard, and see if you get different beasties visiting your bug hotel.
Learn the art of dry stone walling, woodland management, tree planting, hedgelaying and much more.
Get instant access to the definitive ‘how to’ practical conservation guides. Advice, instructions and support to manage your countryside and green spaces.